- Improved rider ergonomics with a narrow tank, flatter seat and slimmer radiator shrouds offering greater freedom of movement
- Advanced liquid-cooled YPVS-equipped 249cc two-stroke engine is lightweight, compact and fun, with a wide, hard-hitting powerband
- New straight intake design improves feeling of power in the low rpm range
- Advanced Hitachi Astemo® Keihin PWK38S carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor provides extra-crisp throttle response
- High performance brake setup features larger front pistons, more rigid caliper and redesigned rotors with increased pad contact area for exceptional stopping power and feel, along with less unsprung weight
- Fully adjustable KYB® fork features the Speed-Sensitive System for precise handling and superb shock absorption
- Revised fully adjustable KYB® rear shock features reduced-friction Kashima Coat™ internals
- Race-proven, highly developed forged aluminum semi-double cradle frame
- Removable aluminum rear subframe constructed of square-section tubing for reduced weight
- Finely tuned lightweight chassis and advanced suspension endow the YZ250 with class-leading handling
- New, Modern Monster Energy® YZ Styling
- Aggressive, race-inspired styling—from the sharp new bodywork including front and rear fenders, radiator shrouds and number plates, to the smaller details like fork guards, rear brake disc and caliper protectors, and wide foot pegs—spotlights the YZ250's extensive two-stroke racing pedigree from every angle. A Monster Energy®-inspired graphics package completes the factory-ride look and feel.
- Compact, liquid-cooled, 249 cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke engine
- Smooth shifting, 6-speed, close ratio transmission
- Keihin PWK38S carb with 4-petal carbon fiber reeds
- Yamaha's patented YPVS exhaust power valve system
- Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle frame with detachable rear subframe
- Fully adjustable KYB suspension
- 270 mm front & 245 mm rear disc brakes
- Adjustable aluminum handlebar & titanium foot pegs
- Aggressive, modern styling
Lightweight, compact, liquid-cooled, 249cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke.
- super crisp, instant 'right now' engine power (when in the 'power band')
- easy & economical to maintain, service & rebuild
Lightweight, flat top forged aluminum piston.
- excellent durability
- light weight means fast engine response
Liner-less, ceramic composite cylinder bore with ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block.
- excellent heat dissipation
- reduced weight (no heavy iron liner)
- reduced friction
- extended cylinder life
Lightweight, ball bearing style crank.
- lightweight design for fast throttle response
- friction reducing crank seals
YPVS power valve system features a total of three slides (one main and two auxiliary slides).
- YPVS system varies the exhaust port height & timing based on engine rpm
- provides the benefits of both solid, low rpm power delivery & strong top-end punch
Keihin PWK38S carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor (TPS).
- precise fuel - air mixing
- extra-crisp throttle response throughout the powerband
Special-design, 4-petal, carbon fiber reeds.
- excellent throttle response & engine performance across the entire RPM range
Smooth-shifting, 5-speed, close-ratio transmission.
- ratios are matched to engine output for maximum performance
- optimal hook-up for outstanding acceleration & corner-exiting power
- transmission features 'involute splines' for smooth, positive shifting even under power
Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- quick-access, outer clutch cover allows for fast, easy clutch maintenance
CD (capacitor discharge) ignition system.
- delivers a precise spark for fast, sure starts
- ensures optimal timing at all rpms for fast, strong response.
High capacity, washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- excellent filtering qualities
- reduces maintenance costs... foam filter is re-useable
Large-capacity, dual radiators feature 10-row cores.
- maximum cooling efficiency
Lightweight exhaust system.
- computer designed expansion chamber provides maximum engine performance
- lightweight, aluminum silencer is re-buildable for optimum performance & reduced noise levels
Works-style clutch lever & race-spec 'barrel adjuster.'
- light, easy lever pull
- for on-the-fly clutch adjustments
Improved Rider Ergonomics
- A new flatter seat and more narrow fuel tank design, along with smoothly integrated body panels and slimmer shroud width, combine to enable greater freedom of movement forward and back, allowing the rider to easily shift body weight for increased control and confidence.
Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle frame.
- combines with compact engine to provide an awesome power to weight ratio
- obvious benefit of an aluminum frame is a significant weight reduction
- Yamaha maintains the semi-double cradle design because it offers an excellent 'rigidity balance' between lateral & torsional rigidity while offering controlled flex in the longitudinal plane
- result is a light aluminum frame, which provides excellent handling, good ride quality, excellent stability & responsive cornering performance
Removable rear subframe.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum
- detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- reduces costs in the event of a loop out
Lightweight, tapered design aluminum swingarm.
- produced by 'hydro forming', a forming method that uses high pressure water to form shapes
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- lightweight design
Cast aluminum upper and forged lower triple clamps.
- strong yet lightweight
- fast, agile handling
Adjustable handlebar mounts.
- allow handlebar to be moved 10mm rearward if desired
'Speed Sensitive System' 48mm, adjustable, inverted, 'twin chamber' KYB fork. Front wheel travel is 300mm (11.8').
- twin chamber design means the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly & degrading its damping abilities
- the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil
- 'Speed Sensitive' design means the damping force is controlled by piston speed, not position in the fork
- low friction fork seals provide reduced stiction for a smoother stroke
- fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping & 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts
Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
- TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke & improves bottoming characteristics
- TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring & its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term 'Speed Sensitive System fork'
Large 'wrap-around' plastic fork protectors.
- provide excellent protection from dirt, mud & stone chips
- 'self-supporting' design reduces friction for smoother stroke
Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable, Kayaba, piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4') of wheel travel.
- features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- adjustments include: spring preload, 20-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping & 2 turns of high speed compression damping
- damper rod is 18 mm in diameter
- Kashima coating (friction reducer) is used in the shock body & sub tank to reduce friction & improve suspension performance
- piggyback shock utilizes a full rebound oil lock system for excellent suspension function & great ride quality
270 mm floating front 'wave-style' disc brake with Nissin twin piston caliper.
- 'wave' style rotor (disc) reduces weight, improves cooling (more surface area) & improves styling
- braking performance is excellent with great feel & control
'Shorty' front brake lever is adjustable for various hand sizes.
245 mm rear 'wave-style' disc brake with single piston caliper.
- integrated master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder)
- 'wave' style rotor (disc) reduces weight, improves cooling (more surface area) & improves styling
- strong stopping power with excellent feel & control
Rugged, plastic rear caliper & lower rear disc protectors / guards.
Lightweight, Sun Star rear sprocket.
- increases the contact area between the sprocket & chain rollers
- reduces the load on the chain & increases service life of chain & sprocket
Lightweight, D.I.D. 21' front and 19' rear rims & premium Dunlop tires.
- provide excellent durability
- reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance & handling
'Flat-design' seat features multi density foam.
- provides good initial softness / comfort and then increases the firmness as more pressure is applied
- 'pebble' finish on the top and side surfaces provides excellent rider grip & durability
Seat, handlebar & fuel tank ergonomics provide excellent freedom of movement for the rider.
- New, Modern YZ Styling
- Aggressive, race-inspired styling—from the sharp new embedded graphics, new bodywork including front and rear fenders, radiator shrouds and number plates, to the smaller details like fork guards, rear brake disc and caliper protectors, and wide foot pegs—spotlights the YZ250's extensive two-stroke racing pedigree from every angle.
- Revised Suspension Damping
- Further improving the YZ250's already renowned suspension performance, front and rear suspension has been revised to further improve bump absorption and cornering ability. KYB® inverted front fork now includes a leaf spring in the mid-speed valve for increased performance and comfort.
- Slim design, modern aggressive bodywork allows easy rider movements
- Lightweight YZ250F/450F based wide footpegs provide excellent grip & ground clearance
- Rugged chain guide helps prevent the chain from de-railing and also helps to protect the rear sprocket.
- Serrated rear brake lever and folding shift lever tip
- Stainless steel, inner clutch cable provides excellent strength, smooth action and long life
- Heavy-duty chain
- E10 friendly fuel system components